View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 02:42 PM
David Pierson
Banned

To begin there is no "fire proof" safe. Long before direct impingement of fire is the rise in temperature. 350F is about the temp when paper fibers start to brown and of course 451F it burns. Older paper fibers pyrolize and their ignition temp lowers over time. Plastic (slabs) would melt and ruin everything too. So it is really the interior temp that should concern you. Since all safes will offer some degree of protection go with the best you can afford. There is smoke and water to be concerned about too. A house fire can reach temps upwards of 2000F...about 4X the broil temp on an oven. Silver and gold can melt, steel twists like putty. Lots of good info out there, and in our search feature. Nothing is 100% safe.
Some here think a safe deposit box at a bank is good. I disagree. During the "great depression" banks closed and people were SOL for a while...also no FDIC insurance..Even in good times you only have access when the bank is open.and the feds can seize boxes,(and do) all the time. But I digress. Safest bet....sell your collection to me cheap. just kidding, Dave
good luck and let us know what you decide on

Last edited by Cardboard Junkie; 03-14-2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: spelling