View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Al Richter

Default 1952

Always nice to have more input Thomas. I know there are several front differences in my 2 Loes cards but assumed they were always consistent with whether it was a red or black back. My black back has different color shading around the stars and along his out stretched arm...lower arm too.

While there are definite color differences on the fronts of some of the first 80 cards, like on Kretlow, Glaviano, Scarborough, Kiely, Boone and Wehmeier, all of which I have, I was under the impression they just ran with the red and black back differences.

I have never found what I consider a really different Feller or Crandall. I see some shading differences in scans but nothing distinctive. But those two are often discussed and I would love to see scans of the differences together.

The Woodling and Scheib while interesting to me, are print defects ( I did get them) and not variations. I tend to think of variations as intentional changes made to cards and view the others as print defects...but I still collect them :-).

I did pick up the 2nd House's and Bob Lemke was leaning toward it being a variation in his SCD article on it.

I picked up a 2nd Houk where the background it more white than pink, but consider it just a printing issue.

My 3d Campos, with the border missing in the upper left ( also written up in SCD, as were the Scheib and Woodling), is also a print defect, but then again so is my black star.

I think my 311-313 cards are variations, with both front and back differences. Not really intentional that they are there, but intentional that they were double printed.

The second Campanella is also a print defect but felt the need to get it. Some of the hobby's most iconic "variations", the 58 Herrer, the 57 Bakep and 52 black star are in my mind all just print defects. And border breaks , border irregularities and color flaws abound in every Topps set.

Bill---I have seen the partial black star but do not have one...missing link you think ?

I have heard there are gradations of the House...does this mean it is a printing defect rather than a variation ?

I will need to look for the Swift and Wilson. Swift will be hard on ebay since it is a back issue. How uncommon is the Wilson ?

I need to check my set more closely to see if the other front differences you mention in the first 80 correspond to my red and black backs.

Ted---I think the gray backs are real variations and envy your pursuit of them.

With the list of SCD variations apparently closed due to Bob Lemke's retirement, I assume Beckett and the PSA master registry list, which I do not really follow, will be the main arbitrators of what variants/oddities go mainstream and pick up value. That part does not matter to me since it has always just been a hobby to me. I sure have enjoyed all the input so far in this thread

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-27-2013 at 09:32 AM.