View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 05:52 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Hey Tim,

A Reds W-711 partial set, wow!!! Now there's a set you really never see or hear about. I know literally nothing about that set, and don't remember it ever being listed in the old SCD catalogs either. Would love to hear some info/background about the set, and what it was that prompted you to start collecting it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Hi Tim,

I was wondering about the W711s too. Are you doing the type 1 or type 2 set? I'm working on the Type 1 set but am far from completion at this point. I find it to be a wonderful set with great images and the red color accents are perfect.
First, I'm a Reds fan. I collect as much memorabilia as I do cards. I'm a history teacher, and I got into pre-war about 9 years ago, and I started learning about the 1939-40 Cincinnati Reds. I always wanted my display to feel like a museum. I saw the set and fell in love. It's beautiful. I always thought the set was team issued, but Chris Gamble shared an advertisement about a year ago that the set was produced and distributed by the local dairy company. A new card would arrive with the milk! The lesser known players are the hardest to find and command prices similar to or higher than the stars. The Jim Weaver pictured below is the only one I've ever seen, and I paid as much for it as I did the others. Regardless, I have only once seen a Johnny Vander Meer portrait; I have seen Johnny's action shot a couple times. The portrait was autographed, and a member of this site owns it. I collect both series, but I only have two 1939 cards. The only way I can tell them apart is by reading the description on the back. The description was updated to mention accomplishments from 1938. Finally, I'm about to sell my partial set. I bought a T206 red Cobb, and my set, among other things, is going to help me pay for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 06-14-2021 at 04:46 PM.