View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 10:46 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Old coins are probably the sole source of silver that I have. I inherited a coin collection from an uncle, who inherited a large portion of it from my grandmother. I would never sell any of the pieces because of the family connection but my grandmother kept a stash of about 50 (mostly peace with some morgan) dollar coins with her for her entire life. She grew up in the depression and the fear of being left with nothing never left her. Most of the peace dollars are from the 20s and 30s but mixed in are some morgan dollars from the turn of the century. My uncle told me that while she was growing up, my grandmother's family kept them stashed under a floor board in their apartment. When she moved out of the house, her parents gave her the stash as a wedding gift.
That's a very cool story. And I'm glad to hear you've hung on to them. Hopefully you can pass them down to your kids or a family member with that same story and they'll appreciate them just as much.

One thing that really bothers me is when people inherit something and their first thought is, "How much $ can I get for this?" Doesn't sentimental value mean anything anymore? If your relative wanted you to have the money, they would have sold the item and given you the money. The item meant more to them than the money and its sentimental value should have meaning to the person who's left to inherit it. Unfortunately that's not the way it works most of the time.