View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 12:44 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
It's ridiculous and absurd, prices skyrocketing this much this fast are not the result of an under appreciated segment gaining greater interest or natural. T218 Johnnson's going up several hundred percent almost overnight for an incredibly common superprint is not a natural growth or newfound appreciation. He was heavily in the news and public consciousness in 2018 and almost no uptick happened; this isn't natural or a newfound surge in interest in old-time boxing or in Johnson happening.

I don't follow the modern guys but it looks about the same thing on them to me.

Cards are less and less about collecting and more and more about trying to print money via plastic slabs in which the cards themselves hardly even matter with every year, the 2020-2021 craziness feels like the result of this "collecting" approach. If the investors think they can make money by instilling a hype train and pump, they will. It appears to work well.
I agree with everything you just said 100%. It drives me crazy when people on Facebook groups talk about how such and such card was so undervalued last year. And that is why they have gone up 1000% in 12 months. Cards are only worth what somebody will pay for them. And they were worth a certain amount for years and years. And most just started climbing last summer. And most of these people just got into the hobby last year but they seem to know so much lol