View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Several people have brought up OJ, and I agree completely. I had two of his autographs from the early 80's and ended up giving them both to a friend because I didn't want them in my collection.
As for players that are known for a famous blunder or only known for one famous event, I look at it like this; I'm not collecting the player because of the blunder, I'm collecting the event because it's a part of baseball history. Whether it's Branca giving up the homerun to Thompson, or Buckner and the groundball, or Torrez giving up the homerun to Dent, or Gionfriddo taking away a homerun from Dimaggio, etc etc, it's all part of baseball history...and for the most part, all of these things are in just about every baseball documentary so I feel it's worthy of collecting.
About 25 years ago, I bought and sold a photo of the Thompson homer (with a dotted line tracking the flight) signed by both Thompson and Branca. Bobby had insrcibed it "Hope you enjoyed this as much as I did!" and Branca wrote "Eh".

Kinda sorry I sold it now that I'm a little older and appreciate the history more than the few dollars profit.