View Single Post
Old 02-14-2023, 06:00 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Not according to precedent. In 1915, Ernie Shore came into a game in the first inning after Babe Ruth walked the first batter and then got ejected for starting a fight. The runner was caught stealing, and Shore went on to retire the next 26 batters. He was not credited with pitching a perfect game even though he got the inherited runner, then everyone else. He is credited with a no-hitter.

But, since anything is now subject to change, in the name of making the National Pastime "more fan friendly," maybe they would also change the definition of a perfect game to take into account zombie runners.

Baseball has such a rich history and tradition. I hate seeing it defaced because some people can't appreciate it for what it is.
I am aware of Ernie Shore's performance, but unlike the hypothetical I raised, he did not begin the game and face every batter, and not every batter was retired. He is credited with being part of a combined no-hitter.

To your point, I believe they would have to change the definition of a perfect game, but it is inherently contradictory to state someone pitched a perfect game and lost. Yet that possibility exists. Let's hope it arises so the debate fun can get started
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.