View Single Post
Old 02-21-2023, 09:24 PM
Donny Muth

Default Good junk wax era sets to build?

I took a break from buying new cards and building modern sets starting around 1992 through the early 2000s. So last weekend I was at the LCS looking for a box from a set I missed out on. I ended up buying a box of 1992 Fleer Ultra series 1 and had fun ripping the packs. I got the entire first series, plus a bunch of dupes, plus some of the Tony Gwynn inserts and Gold Glove inserts. I'll pick up a series 2 box in the next week or two to see if I can complete the set.

My question to the forum is what other sets from this 1992-2000 (or so) era are good sets to build by opening packs?

Here are some criteria I am considering:

1) cards that have an attractive design and are visually appealing

2) decent quality (i.e. no bricking, etc.)

3) good checklist of star players and RCs from that era, interesting inserts, etc.

4) affordable - as much as 1993 Upper Deck SP would be great I am not spending $2000+ on a box because there's a chance of finding a Jeter RC. I would say less than $100/box... preferably less than $50/box.

5) good availability... hopefully boxes can be found at the LCS, but at least on eBay or maybe card shows... I don't want to have to hunt to find a box to open

Thanks for recommendations in advance!

Last edited by donmuth; 02-21-2023 at 09:41 PM.