Thread: CNN card story
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 06:41 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
Here is my conundrum. I am 15 cards away from finishing 1955 Topps and 2 cards away from finishing 1968. I just cannot wrap my melon around sports cards being an investment. I mean, logically, yes I get it. But, with my collection, there is too much emotional involvement to view it as on par with stocks or annuities.

So, when I see the prices that the Clemente and Ryan rookie cards are selling for, I just shake my head and move on. Could I afford them at current prices? Yes, but I can't do it. That kind of money is significant enough to me that I prefer to put it into an asset I have absolutely no emotional attachment to.

So, to get back to my opening, I think I would be perfectly happy to fill those binder slots with reprints and call it a day. If the bubble bursts, great. But, if it doesn't, that is fine also.

You said this so well. There are three or four cards that I had been watching since 2019 waiting for nice versions that I missed out on when things took off in 2020. Yes, I can afford them now. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact we have all been collecting for so many years, that the card that was $400 two to years ago is now $3000. Just hard for me to fork over that kind of money when I know what it was two years ago. Even though I can afford it. And I agree, I just don’t think of these as investments. I know they are, but when you’ve been collecting for 30 years, it’s hard to think that way.