View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 12:14 PM

Hi Jay,

Here is some research I did this afternoon on your CDV in response to the historical society's determination. All research I do is through primary materials.

The Star Base Ball Club of Sunbury was first organized in April 1866 and played until at least 1871. The team played on a baseball ground located near the Northern Central Railroad Engine House (N.C.R.R.), “near the machine shops of the of the N.C.R.R.”

Records of the team’s existence between mid-1866 and 1871 are very sparse, if not non-existent. This paucity may be due to The Star Club’s merger with the Susquehanna Club in June 1866. According to the Sunbury American, “The Star Club of this place, has been merged into the Susquehanna Club…The Susquehanna has the materials to make a first-class club…”

A roster posted on May 5, 1866 shows the short-lived team's lineup as the following:

L. Dewart, C.
J. Malone, P.
A. Weaver, 1 b.
A. F. Clapp 2 b.
N. U. Fisher, 3 b.
H. Hourne l. f.
D. Irvin, c. f.
B. Rodrigue, r.f.

Newspaper articles begin referencing the club, again, in 1871. Through these accounts we are exposed to a very successful team. For example, on July 8, 1871 the Star Club defeated the Trevorton Club “ As usual the Star Club came off the victors.” Additionally, the Star Club continued to play at a field located at the Central Railroad Engine House.

In early August the 1871 Star Club played for the championship of Northumberland county against the Union Club of Watsontown at the Central Railroad field. During the first game the Star Club defeated the Union club in 1 hour and 15 minutes and by 16 runs, 27-11. The teams roster was as follows:

Smick, c
Bucher, p
Hopper 1st b
P. Krohn, 2d b
Welker, 3d b
Reese s. s
Eisley l.f.
R. Krohn c. f
Neuer, r.f.

This all considered, in conjunction with the Sunbury Historical Society’s assertion that the image in the baseball CDV is indeed railway grounds in Sunbury, demonstrates that the team pictured in the CDV is very likely the 1866 or 1871 Star Club of Sunbury, PA. Moreover, the creation of a CDV may have been made in lieu the team’s victorious record in 1871. While I do not know if the Star Club did indeed win the championship, they at least played a full season. In total, I am leaning towards the CDV being the 1871 Star Club.

Additionally, this research is not utterly complete. While I assert no records exist of this team between mid 1866 and the start of 1871, records may exist and my research may be lacking. The above blurb is strictly based on my findings so far.

Best,

Zach

Last edited by mzm55; 09-17-2015 at 01:41 PM.