View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 08:56 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Just curious.

From the original REA description, it sounds more like rust than grime.

"The offered sign (13.25 x 6 inches) displays heavy surface wear commensurate with its age and former use, including oxidation and small abrasions."

Does distilled water take off rust? If not, what does? I would imagine it would have to be something acidic although I am out of my depth.
What was left after the cleaning was the more serious rust.

Some of the rest was probably also rust. Most surface finishes like paint and chrome are slightly porous, and water will get in and cause a bit of rust. Some of the rust appears as loose particles that gets on the surface, and can be cleaned off with water.
Distilled water can have a PH anywhere from 7 which is totally neutral to around 5.6 which is mildly acidic. It depends on how much CO2 the water has absorbed.(and at the 5.6 point, it's not much different from tapwater. )

Personally I'd have dried it with some heat afterwards, like a hairdryer. Then maybe a light wipe with oil or wax to seal it and keep the rust from getting worse. That all depends on the paint. Some paints won't do well with that some almost require it.
Like the old british 3 speed bikes, the paint by now is dried out, and often has a bit of rust showing through. A wipe down with some oil on a paper towel brings it back to almost like new.