View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 01:18 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Today I road-tripped two hours south for the card show at "The Villages". The Villages is a retirement community between Jacksonville and Tampa. It appears to be several developments that share community buildings, pools, and ballfields. They have a collecting club, and they host a show three times a year.

Before I share some of my purchases, know that I am 62 years old, single, and retired. And let me tell you "The Villages" looks like a fantastic place to re-locate to. I passed several "geezers" (like me) playing in softball games? Collecting clubs? Commuting in golf-carts?

On the down side, I had two people tell me that STDs are a somewhat common there as well

On to the cards. First I bought a collection of 1949 and 1950 Bowman baseball cards. Each 1949 Bowman has two hole punches at each top corner with some kind of fabric in the hole punch. I would guess some kind of mounting system? All the 1950 Bowmans have the players name inked on the front. 179 cards total (83 diff 1949B) and (96 diff 1950 B) commons maybe a few minor stars, I haven't checked what series these are from, I also need to look for the copyright/no copyright info...

My '50 Bowman set is complete, and I need just three super-star cards from '49, so these will be for upgrades and then sold at cost to my OBC buddies. And the cost wasn't too bad either Here's the '49 and '50 Bowman stack, along with a $4 1952 Topps Stan Rojek, more on the Stan Rojek card coming up

One of my OBC collecting buddies tells us to keep an eye open for 1952 Topps cards numbered 131-190 with grey card stock. This $4 Stan Rojek has grey card stock, and I scanned the back next to the card that's in my set. Not sure if this is what I was suppose to find or even what the grey card stock means?

Lots more to share, but I have to go eat!

Larry