View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Bill Hedin

Default Our local flea market in Mass

My Dad, Grandfather and I started setting up in the Grafton, Mass Flea Market in the mid 70's. In those formative years we bought great stuff.
From 1980 onward it was a vehicle for my Dad & Grandfather to sell cards
while I ran shows with Mom and Wife, and my cousin ran my store. My Uncle
started doing another flea market in Lowell, Mass mid 80's.
By the early 90's I had decided to consolodate everything to one effort at my shows. The last 20 years have been just shows for us.
We had bought spectacular collections through the flea market in the 70's/early 80's. Other than that the flea markets were a source of sales.
This summer my Uncle decided to set up at a flea market again. We bought nothing because nothing other than 80's/90's stuff was offered. And as for sales, we found out fast that 50 cent or 3/$1.00 cards are what sells. Today's flea market card enthusiasts here wanted new cards of Boston and New York teams. We also sold a tremendous amount of players with Latin and South American Heritage which was interesting. 75% of our buyers were under 25. Times have changed, but it's still a fun outing.

My family loves flea markets and yard sales. However, finding anything before 1980 is a challenge and when you find it the prices are out of whack. Today, flea markets are still popular but they have changed as far as sports items are concerned. When I'm feeling up to it, I love to go to them.

Who has some good stories of recent finds at Brimfield recently?
Thanks,
Bill