Thread: Grade Rarity
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2004, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Default Grade Rarity

Posted By: honus3415

Some good points.....

it should be remembered that basic economics principles apply to items of necessity and not necessarily to collectibles. These are collectibles, they have no real value...only a preceived value in the minds of us collectors. Any previous sale does not predict tomorrow's value, nor does it necessarily indicate a true current value....only a value at a given point in time with factors which will never again be duplicated exactly.

There is absolutely no way of predicting what price someone might pay for a 1/1, 1/2...1/3 or even 1/100. It all depends upon a multitude of variables at any given point in time. Is the second highest bidder still interested? Have other bidders found more funds? Has interest shifted? All these and more are factors with "collectibles". As is the fact that any desirees of a given item may or may not be aware of the availability of that item at any given point in time.

As far as a second highest graded or new highest graded items.....I have yet to see the consistency and accuracy in grading to warrant more than a few hundred dollars between a 9 and a 10. Grading companies just have not instilled in me a confidence that their "unbiased accurate opinions" are worth investments of any great magnitude. Which is better a "9" with a centering flaw, a print spot, or loss of luster? Opinions.....Opinions......their only opinions!!!

We each have an opinion, wants and funds... and as we all know these are constantly changing. The possibile effects of items not in the game cannot be considered just as the effect you might have by hitting the lottery tomorrow can't be considered.

Buy or sell at what an item is worth to you, for if we try to assign values based on the past I fear we will only fool ourselves.

My 2 cents....