Thread: Babe Ruth $$$
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 02:40 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Astra's are really really tough. Took years to get one of Schmeling-Sharkey for my type collection.

One thing is for sure: when it comes to Ruth there are fewer and fewer career-contemporary issues that are available under four figures in any condition other than shredded "A". I suspect the same will be true of Cobb, Gehrig, Young, Johnson and a few others before too long. As for Ruth, IMO even at the hammer last night that '26 was a good purchase for the long term. The 33 Goudey is practically untouchable by mere mortal collectors at this point, so interest is going to shift to other issues even more than it already has.
I'm curious - do people really believe that Cobb will belong in this group in the long run? I just wonder if it at some point, given Cobb's reputation for racism in particular, it will become almost taboo to own a Cobb. I understand that the reputation isn't necessarily well-deserved, given the Leershen biography and its debunking of Stump, and I also understand that we're talking about demand for a few thousand total cards, not orders of magnitude higher, so it's not like half the country needs to want to buy one. But I'm curious what people think about this.
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars