View Single Post
Old 07-10-2022, 10:35 AM

Well, this thread made me look at my 1981 Fleer cards for the first time in many years. No Stoddard error in my cards, so no King's Ransom for me. I remember when these cards came out I was searching for the variations that were published back then. The Craig Nettles card was the valuable one and a friend of mine told me there was a 7-11 in town that had a lot of boxes of these cards with the variations. I went down there and bought 3 boxes I think with the early variations. Nettles was selling for about $10 I think at the time, and I looked in the price guides and some 1959 Mays and Mantle cards I needed were selling for about the same price. So I put an ad in SCD and offered Nettles for Mays or Mantle, and I ended up making trades for both those cards (may have been All-Star version of the cards, I can't remember). I also remember needing only Lopes in the hand versions and buying it for $1.50 at a show and feeling like an idiot. That purchase kind of stopped me from chasing all these variations, though I still save them when I get them, just don't hunt them anymore.