View Single Post
Old 02-26-2022, 10:18 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Thanks Mike & Jamie....and yah got lucky, ticket was paper clipped inside of a program.

When I get a new ticket first thing I do is research the game, and it's crazy what you learn.

Like we all know this was the "Shot Heard 'Round the World", but I didn't know that was because our Servicemen stationed in Korea were listening to the game on the radio, as were those in other countries.

And that famous call by Russ Hodges was not the TV version. If you were watching the game on TV you heard Ernie Harwell's call of the game. If you were listening to the Dodgers radio call of it you were listening to Red Barber. And if you were listening to the Giants broadcast of it you heard that famous Russ Hodges call of it.

And that Giants radio broadcast was NOT being recorded and the famous call of it would have been lost in time if not for a Brooklyn guy who had to work that day and asked his mother to tape record it for him. So that was the only recorded call of it.

I also didn't know the lead up to it, the Giants being 13 back and then being 4-1/2 games back with 7 days to go, and the Giants had to win all 7 games, and had to beat Warren Spahn twice and Robin Roberts once in that final week, just to tie, and force the 3 game playoff. And being down 4-1 headed to the bottom of the 9th in the decisive game 3, season looking be over, to have come so close only to fall short........and then!

All of that (and more) explains how big that Home Run was.

And then hearing the entire '51 Yankees team (including the Mick) were in attendance that day at the Polo Grounds watching to see who their Series opponent would be. Hell, maybe I have Mantle's ticket here to the Shot Heard Round the World Game, it's a Box seat after all. Hey, I have a 1 in 34,000 chance that it was. : )

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 02-26-2022 at 10:30 AM.