View Single Post
Old 10-01-2004, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Default Survey: Most overated pitcher (pre-1930)

Posted By: Chris

Gil- according to baseballlibrary.com, Koufax was in the big leagues because the rule of the day said Bonus contract players were required to stay on the Major League roster. I'm not sure exactly how the rule read but that as well as better coaching in the bigs were the reason he was not in the minors. Jay, the reason so many people swoon over Koufax is because he really was that damn good. Fans. sports writers, teammates and opponents all say so. They can't all be wrong. I think people who say he was overrated don't understand what his reputation was built on. It wasn't on a long career. It was built on dominating hitters in the 60's and being a big game pitcher who was ultra competitive and considered the best of his era. Koufax retired when he was 31 years old and the comparison to Gale Sayers has already been made. Just because Gale only played 7 or 8 years doesn't mean he wasn't one of the All time Greats. I for one think Kirby deserves the Hall. As for Don Larsen being overrated, he isn't. Larsen is remembered for one thing and one thing only. Nobody pretends he was one of the great pitchers. He just happened to have the right stuff that one day and accomplished something someone had never done before and probably never will again. It was still an incredible accomplishment and that is what he will always be remembered for. It's not like he will ever be in the Hall or considered. You don't have to be a superstar to have a great moment in sports. Every dog has his day.