View Single Post
Old 10-28-2022, 08:44 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
I recently started grading my cards. Most of my cards are pre-war. I had little experience with grading services prior and really don't want this to degenerate into a grading company bashing thread.

Regarding some post-war cards, there appeared to be several cards that appeared to be consistently more harshly graded. I started digging and noted the population reports show grading scarcities for these exact same cards ('52 Bartirome, '80 Henderson are two). In fact, Vintage Card Curators made a video on the grading scarcity anomaly regarding the 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson.

Is this just me or does anyone else feel that grading companie(s) may be creating scarcities for certain cards? I bet Jolly Elm has a word for this....
Don't know about the Henderson cards, but for the '52 Bartirome cards there is an alleged person that is/was going after and hoarding just those cards from the '52 Topps set, and therefore supposedly responsible for the dearth of them appearing for sale as opposed to similar hi-number series cards from that set. And is also supposedly why '52 Topps Bartirome cards typically go for higher prices than similar hi-number series commons.

That wouldn't seem to be a plausible explanation for '80 Henderson cards though as I don't believe they were SP'd, Topps cards were no longer being issued in series after 1973, and I'd never heard stories of anyone trying to hoard them.

Last edited by BobC; 10-28-2022 at 08:46 AM.