Thread: WG2 mystery?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Default WG2 mystery?

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I was there last night, Butch. And from the descriptions posted about the Red Barber game, it seems right.

Where the problem appears to lie is that the game which I have is hand made. It is not a commercial version. Although there are several potential explanations for this, the one which I prefer is ... some kid saw his friend's game, wanted one, and his parents said "No". So the resourceful youngster simply copied the game.

Which, of course, leads me to wonder ... did he choose to incorporate features which he perceived as improvements? Therefore, I have a high level of interest in a close comparison of the two. Even if I have to (yikes!) purchase a original.

I do note, however, that there is discussion of more recent similar games. I am also curious how these differ from Red Barbers. The play of these games is a bit like early baseball, I think. With more emphasis on factors other than the pitcher/batter rivalry. Unfortunately, unless you think the pace of a chess match is soothing, you could feel that these games yield tedious play.

Edited to add:

Oh gosh - today is Friday! No work tomorrow! Wake up Gil! I guess that the holiday threw me off (I know - what holiday). I will be there in a bit.