View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
I wonder though, is the Bum dreaming about future Dodger Stadium? The little baseball trademark seems more early 60s to me. I would think the other Bum in Coliseum pennant might predate it, or coincide ... or who cares it’s awesome no matter what!
Believe it or not: this "new home" was what Walter O'Malley envisioned as his Brooklyn Super Stadium, a facility he hoped to construct atop a train station, providing convenient transport to/from the suburbs via the Long Island Express. At one point, O'Malley's super stadium was to be a domed ballpark--first of its kind, well ahead of the Astrodome.

The image was created by legendary artist Willard Mullin and originally appeared on the cover of the team's 1954 year book.

We can thank urban planner Robert Moses for thwarting O'Malley's grand plan. Moses was only willing to allow for a stadium in Queens--not Brooklyn. This, O'Malley said, was the straw that broke the camel's back. He promptly met with LA City Council members who offered him Chavez Ravine, and the rest is history....

The above notwithstanding, this didn't stop Trench from "appropriating" the artwork on to one of their pennants a few years later. This time, they swapped out the image of the super stadium for, of all things, a halo.... With this alteration in mind, they must have felt the "new home" reference was obvious: Dodger Stadium, in the city of Angels.

As talented as Trench's Art Department was, they too had no qualms stealing other artists' work. The other bum depicted on Trench's other Coliseum pennant was also a Willard Mullin creation. The tiny headed giant depicted on NY and SF Giant stadium pennants by Trench was also, I believe, a Willard Mullin illustration.

Note the SportService logo in the bottom left corner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrooklynDodgersYearbookCover1954.jpg (14.9 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by Domer05; 10-30-2020 at 01:14 AM.