View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 11:41 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I respect the positions of all the 'never-PWCCers' here. This just is not a 100% 'nice' business. There are a lot of cons, crooks, grifters, corner-cutters, etc. Cash businesses and collectibles always attract those sorts. There are also many really great, honest as the day is long, folks and I try to steer everything I can their way.

I guess the bottom line is that everyone has their own line in the sand. I was at a show once and I heard a dealer I used to buy from all the time use a certain really ugly racial slur. Made my skin crawl. I walked away and never dealt with him again. Racism is my third rail; I won't deal with bigots. Too much family blood in the ground in Poland for that...

I am not simon-pure on the question of shoddy or crooked dealers. When Legendary liquidated the Dreier collection I went after and won several of the rare boxing lots even though I knew by then that the people running the AH were crooks (now-convicted felons Doug Allen and Mark Theotikos). I didn't care. As long as the cards were delivered and at the price I was willing to pay I was fine with it. Some of the cards remain centerpieces of my collection.
Hi Adam,

I hear you man. They had some stuff that you weren't going to see again for a long time and you wanted it. It's now a centerpiece of your collection. However, for me, even if they had "centerpiece" cards that I could afford and really wanted for my collection because I'd likely never see them again, I just can't get past my personal self respect threshold and deal with someone like Brent or Allen or Mastro, etc. I'm aware that I may be dealing with crooks at any time and don't know it, but if I don't know it then it doesn't affect my self respect. Once the shady business is known though, then I can't do it. No card/item is worth losing my own self respect. I can say no to cards as easily as I say no to doing drugs, they don't control me. For me, stuff doesn't trump all. This isn't an attack on Adam guys, I'm just responding to the idea, not the man.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here