View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 11:35 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206fix View Post
Oops, sorry guys, didn't look at this thread over the weekend.

I have found 12 - I thought I would have found a lot more.

Here they are

Abbatchio
Baker
Camnitz AAS
Doyle batting
Evers
Griffith
Joss
Lake
Magee
Merkle
Murray
Overall

It seems that Griffith and Baker are very common which is surprising considering they are HOFers

I've only seen one copy of Evers, Joss, Merkle

and like I said, it's been awhile since I've seen a "new" discovery.

Why do you think that it would only be one card on each sheet, Steve?
The plates/stones would have been laid out using transfers, which all come from the same master.
Flaws like this are usually from the transfer not getting fully transferred, so usually only happened once. Similar to the clipped or doubled name/team lines.

A few years ago I started looking at some plate scratches on P150, trying to assemble at least a partial sheet. (In stamps it's called plating, but there the sheet size is usually known... ) something that Pat R really understood right off, and took it way beyond what I had. He's got most of them figured out, and Unless there's a triplet I've missed, he has nearly all of them, with only two different fronts.
He's done the same for a bunch of other flaws, and a few other people have as well.

Another approach I was looking at was pop reports, but it was very difficult for anything but the 150s, and not conclusive. Chris B I believe shared a possible sheet/print run breakdown he did a different method that was for the 460's, and all the ones I checked using pop reports looked like they checked out. (and one group of SC was suprisingly difficult. )

I just recently found his chart again, and I'm planning on comparing it to the list of fronts you've seen with this flaw. I suspect these will confirm most of those groups - In other words, each front with the flaw will only appear once in a group.

It's also possible the transfer was larger than a single back by the time the 460's came out, and that the "master" for that larger transfer was laid out with single transfers one of which didn't transfer properly so it was on multiple positions.
For example if they did a 4x? grid and the bad transfer was in column 3 then every 4th column would have the same flaw.
Since transfers don't always transfer perfectly, one way to try to prove or disprove either would be through other smaller differences and whether they're there or not there consistently.