View Single Post
Old 04-27-2022, 01:47 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
4) The thing that bothers me most was the lack of communication between ~12AM and 1:14AM - The clock was counting down on each lot - I and others were permitted to place bids without clarity on whether the auction would end last night or be pushed till today. I placed bids in that time period thinking there was a chance the auction would close according to the clocks that were counting down. At 1:14 well over an hour after the problem started the email went out saying the auction would be extended. Fairer (imo) would have been to "pause the auction" closer to when the problem began until a decision was made and clearly communicated with everyone.
After several weeks of normal bidding, there followed a couple hours of extended bidding. This was supposed to be followed by lot by lot 10 minute extended sessions to conclude the auction.

Instead, the 10 minute per lot session continued for over an hour, and each time the clocks seemed to be running down, they reset. It was like expecting the auction to end within minutes (so get those bids in) time after time, and this had to result in more last minute bidding. I certainly thought I was on the verge of winning my lot several times, and increased my max bid during the madness, in case I got disconnected as my lot was closing.

Then, REA decides to add an entire new day of extended bidding, and then, yet another 10 minute per lot countdown.

If we can all agree that bidding in auctions is most intense at the close, then what would be the result of bidders thinking the close was imminent again, and again, and again, and again, then an extra day is added, and then one last final, final extension?

It would be like ebay having snipers put in their last second top bids, then adding a minute to allow another round of snipe bidding, then adding another round, and another........