View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 04:52 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

In case you missed Post #277 by auburn35, this is pretty damning.
Quote:
Small Traditions, Better Business Bureau reviews are fairly interesting.
https://www.bbb.org/us/co/denver/pro...iews#366918759

Several positive reviews within days of each other (almost like customers were asked to do so), in March of 2019. Even Tim "Trim by Tim" Burridge makes an appearance but this was the most interesting "positive" comment.

Ronald S
03/17/2019
★★★★★
Excellent service, honest and straightforward. Dave did all the work getting my cards graded and sold and even did a few “repairs “ to get a higher grade and resubmitted some to get a better grade. I know he got me at least $700 extra in one case doing that. Highly recommend.

Response from Small Traditions LLC:
03/19/2019

Thanks so much, Ron. We really appreciate your honesty here as well as the opportunity to have worked with you and your collection. To be clear, any "repairs" we did consisted simply of removing wax from more than a few of your cards as well as unfolding some very damaged corners on some very low-grade cards. Doing that definitely helped the grades on several of those increase from the 1 or 2 range to 3s or 4s and maybe a few 3s and 4s up to 5s and 6s. I want to be very clear to distinguish this from "card doctoring," which consists of fraudulent things like cutting cards or recoloring them. I like to tell our customers that if a card has a booger on it, naturally you would flick it off before submitting it for grading, which is the case with wax when found on the fronts of cards. It was very common because most 50s and 60s era cards came out of wax packs, and it rubs off quite easily and leaves a nice shine. As for badly damaged corners, I like to say that if you had a Mickey Mantle rookie card that was folded in half, naturally you'd unfold it before submitting it for grading. This is essentially what sometimes happens to the corners of badly damaged or low-grade cards, when the corners sort of flip in or flop over. If it's bad enough or obvious enough, it helps to gently lay them flat again before submitting for grading. Again, thanks for your very specific and honest feedback here, and thanks to the BBB for the space here to respond.

The FBI should have an even easier case against David, as in his own words, he admits that it's fraudulent to cut and recolor cards.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 01-21-2020 at 04:53 AM.