Thread: Gretzky future
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 03:07 AM
Kevin Petitpas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Compare the pop on the Orr RC to the pops on the Gretzky RCs.
The Gretzky RC has many, many times more examples in the pop than the Orr RC. In fact it's a pretty common card.

I'm a PSA guy so I haven't taken the time to check pops at BVG/SGC/KSA/etc but the last time I looked at the Gretzky at PSA I recall it was sitting above 6,000 for each of the OPC and the Topps. So over 12,000 combined, just in PSA holders. With more flooding in all the time. And any time you go on eBay there are lots of them available in pretty much any grade you could want.

The last time I checked the 1966 Topps Orr it was sitting around 980 total copies at PSA give or take. Again, I don't know the pops of the other graders but just looking at PSA there is roughly one Orr RC for every 12 or 13 Gretzky RCs. That is a pretty significant difference in scarcity. And when you go looking on eBay for one the pickings are very slim in comparison.

Grade for grade the Orr generally sells for about double of what the Gretzky OPC gets, so the scarcity definitely is a factor to some extent. Honestly it should probably be a much wider gap when there could be a 12x difference in supply, but I don't know if or when that will change. Any collector from any sport knows who Gretzky is even if they don't follow hockey at all. But they may not know who Orr is, how important he is to hockey history, or how scarce the RC is so it might remain undervalued forever.

I'm a proud owner of both the Topps Orr and OPC Gretzky RCs and although I love both (and am in the camp that Gretzky is the undisputed GOAT) I appreciate my beater Orr a lot more. It's a true grail card.