View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 01:52 PM

I'm sure anyone who has the interest can do the legwork themselves to find authenticated examples in this rushed style. As noted, this is a very common signature variation from late in Killebrew's career.

On another note, I've had some great exchanges with Derringer's son and asked him straight out about who was signing most of the mail for their Dad, as it clearly wasn't Derringer himself. Most of the time, it looked like the work of children. Well, that's exactly what it turned out to be! The children would sit around the table with their Dad and answer his mail for him!

Also, anyone who has interest in buying Derringer's autograph, do not buy it for the slab it's in! This is especially true of that Fleer cards he appeared on. I've sadly seen at least two of the major TPAs "authenticate" the examples of these cards signed by Derringer's kids. I have no idea how that happened, as the autograph bears no resemblance to that of Derringer. I did not retain scans of these, however. Just use caution, as they've popped up on eBay from time to time. If the signature appears slowly drawn (by a child, no less), stay away. It should be easy for anyone to spot. One of the kids would use exaggeratedly tall P's and D's.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 03-19-2021 at 02:08 PM.