View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
I just picked up this autograph album. It belonged to a woman who ran the dining hall used by the U.S. team during the 1956 Olympics in Melbourne, Australia. Not only is it filled with about 75 signatures of U.S. athletes including several nice full page signatures with nothing on the back. The book itself is one of the nicest I have seen or owned. The cover is made of kid glove leather, still nice and soft with no cracks for over 55 years old.

1) Paul Anderson (1932-94), considered by many to be the strongest man that ever lived. Gold medalist in 1956 and also world champ that year. He went into powerlifting. He did a 3 rep squat of 900lbs and did a back lift off of trestles of 6,270 lbs. the greatest weight ever lifted by a human.

2) Jim Boyd (1930-97) - gold medal in boxing. Had a short pro career. The first one I have seen of his.

3) Jesse Owens - everyone knows about him. Very similar to the signature he was still signing when he died, but fancier than his signature in the 1930's.

4) James Smith - not a big name, but one of 6 Olympians born in my hometown. Five are still living, but he would be the toughest to find due to the common name.

5)
&
6) The gold medal baskeball team. Includes Hall of Famers Bill Russell, K.C. Jones and Bruce Drake. All of the signatures on the first page are legitimate. The second page includes at least 3 non-malicious 'signed by others' signatures. The Gib Ford on the second page is not his signature, 1st page is. I have a letter out to Ron Tomsic (2nd signature) asking if that is his writing. The Bob "Jeanjerard" is misspelled. His last name is Jeangerard, but pronounced like it is signed. The second Bill Evans is not his signature and is signed 'Bll'. The Jim Walsh signature is rarer than a vintage Bill Russell as he died in 1976. The second page also includes two of the three amatuer male double gold medalists in basketball Burdette Haldorson (1956 & 1960) and Bill Hougland (1952 & 1956) though I suspect the Hougland may be signed by another as his name appears to be misspelled.
Michael,
I agree with you that this is quite an exceptional autograph album. Wow!
The Jesse Owens sig is beautiful. The poem by the boxer is a classic.
Congrats on your pickup.