View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 02:45 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Cliff,

Were the * and ** checklists the exact same? Did they have any variations between the checklists other than the *? Usually the asterisk represents what print run the sheet came from.....so if the checklist came from A* that usually means the card came from the A sheet prior to making any changes on the sheet.

The next print run as indicated by a ** usually means something was changed on the sheet (not necessarily the card), including replacement of one player with another on the sheet.....so I was curious.

Regards,
With Topps it's a bit of a mystery. I don't think it's a first/second run thing, because it's found on a lot of Topps cards from that era. I think it may indicate which side of the two sheet wide press sheet the cards were on if the cards were from a set that had the same layout on both sides.
Except.............

It's not a variation on some sets where it should be.

Either way there should be half of each set that are marginally harder with one or the other, since only 5 1/2 sets fit on a 132 card sheet.

Some of the individual positions may be identifiable, but I haven't had enough of them to find any differences.

Steve B