View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Banned

A recent pickup and one that I've had for 5 years or so:

The Wolverine News postcard came via a board member in a trade/purchase within the past two months. I'd put the value at $1,500-$2,000, depending how much the number on the slab matters to you. For me, it's irrelevant because the image on the postcard is nice. The low grade is in part because of the writing on the reverse and the fact the PC is postally used. However, the content in part is about the 1909 World Series between the Pirates and Tigers, and the PC was mailed during the Series, so I'll take the poor grade in that trade-off. An example of this postcard that was 2-4 grades higher (I forget exactly) sold at auction in the neighborhood of $2,500 recently.

The Willard's Chocolates came from Lew Lipset via an eBay auction. Again, the low grade is mostly because of some minor writing and scrapbook remnants on the reverse. Because these cards are blank-backed, those flaws don't bother me a bit. I paid in the range of $400, but again, this was about 4-5 years ago. I've always thought this was a fairly mainstream card, but I've seen it on quite a few want lists in the past year or so. I don't collect Willard's per se, but I think they're pretty tough to find in really nice condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2cobb.jpg (51.0 KB, 164 views)