View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 08:17 AM

Default 1950s-60s Kits' Mfg Co. plaques

Those two plaques of Tito Francona and Jim Brown are the only ones I have ever seen. I still feel there must be others out there, but have never run across others.

I am more familiar with the Tito Francona than the Jim Brown (I have neither). I would guess these items are from the 1959-61 time period based on Francona's arrival in Cleveland in 1959, and based on the striped uniform and "C" cap depicted on the plaque. The uniform was overall used from 1958-1962, but in 1962 the Tribe had a Chief Wahoo and C on the cap. Francona was in Cleveland through 1964 so its possible it could be dated later, though.

I don't know a ton about Kit's Mfg Co., but they seem to have produced toys and novelties in this time period. There are at least two other baseball related items out there sponsored by Kit's Mfg Co. The first is set of Cleveland Indians player plaques from 1959 that depict several members of the team. I don't know what the complete checklist looks like, but I am aware of at least four players (Gary Bell, Rocky Colavito, Tito Francona, Vic Power). These items look large but are really card-sized items.

The second sponsorship I am aware of pertains to the Cleveland Indians Jeans which were sold by North East Ohio department stores and clothiers. There were jeans, with chief wahoo patches on the pockets and a plastic belt to go with them. As advertising for the jeans, Kits (or perhaps the department store(?) made at least two different postcards, depicting Rocky Colavito and Ray Narleski.

Hopefully others can add more info about the plaques and Kit's Mfg Co.