View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
My mother is a collector. She has hundreds of pieces of milk glass and brass, some Hummel, and some oak furniture. My dad has art work. My sister's and I don't have careers as successful as my father. Smaller homes, different priorities. We are going to have to liquidate most of it after we cherry pick items not outlined in the will. Luckily I know enough about collecting to make sure we can maximize our value, but it will be a big challenge and time consuming. Currently with the age of your kids it's tough to tell what careers they end up with, size of their home, priorities once they are married and have kids.

At this stage, I would set aside a small group of items for each kid - a couple cards, a couple coins, some jewelry, some other items you haven't mentioned here- and make plans to sell the rest and divide the funds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Nobody will want the cards. Don't even think of your collection in terms of it remaining together for any amount of time after you die. If you don't sell your collection first, you will be doing a disservice to your heirs, who will certainly never take the time to know anything about it. It will be pieced out incorrectly and no matter what instructions you leave behind no one will take the time to follow them after your death.