View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 03:16 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
If you're not crazy wealthy and get alzheimers, it will all have to be sold to cover your long term care.
First, I hope this is not something specific to Steve or his family since it is a very precise example. I would generalize it and say that if you do not have enough insurance or other funds to cover a major unexpected expense, or even normal expenses after retirement, you may need to sell some or all of your collection to do so. For better or worse, I have a feeling many people consider their collection part of their retirement planning.

My will is probably not specific enough. It basically says that my children should divide my collection as they may agree on and in absence of such agreement the Executor should divide it in shares as equal in value as practicable. But none of the parties involved are experts in collectibles. And who wants to spend time looking up prices of their dead dad's cards? So while they may want to keep a few items for sentimental or other reasons (my daughter is a big fan of the older photographic material, like cabinets and cdvs) there is no reason they should keep the collection intact.

I should probably put a sticky note on the will saying "What I mean is, keep what you want then call [insert your favorite auction house] and have them sell everything else and split the proceeds."
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.