View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 09:04 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
I am going through a bit of this right now. My dad is very unhealthy and probably doesn't have a lot of time left. He is a contract hay farmer. He doesn't have land, but he has a ton of big iron (tractors, bailers, etc.). All told, and sold at the right price to the right outlet, it has a value in the 400-600k range - even adjusted for wholesale.

About three years ago when his health started failing, I spoke with him about liquidating. He said that if he sold, he would just be sitting in his chair waiting to die - so he didn't sell.

Now, the inevitable is going to happen soon. I will have to figure out inventory and become a tractor salesman. I live in western PA, he lives in a very rural county of Washington state - 5 hours to fly to and another 90 minute drive.

I have a family and a pretty demanding job so I am not sure how my brother and I are going to liquidate his estate without spending a lot more time there than I (or my wife) would like. It is not going to be fun. I actually need to find a service where they do this sort of thing and take a piece of it. Even a big piece of it is worth not giving 6 months of my life away to sell everything.

It has really taught me a lesson and I will probably target 70 years old as the time to start liquidating. My daughter has made it clear that she likes the TV cards (55 Bowman) and the ones that look like wood (62 Topps). My oldest has said that he wants everything else, but he is probably humoring me. So, we will have additional discussions. What I won't do is tell them that if I sell it that I am just waiting to die and then hold on and let them deal with it and get 10 cents on the dollar of what is fair and reasonable.
Did he have a "best employee" who could take it over either all of it or part of it to go on his own?

That might be a workable plan.