View Single Post
Old 12-14-2020, 08:47 PM
J0hn H@rper

Default Touring (backwards) through the sets of the '50s

While I spend these lazy covid evenings organizing my new post-war vintage collection of the last year, thought I'd share the run from the '50s that I've mostly completed. As you can imagine, it's been an interesting nostalgic ride to put these sets together, and I'm pleased with how it's gone.

Some of these sets are complete, and some still need a few commons/minors or upgrades. But they're all plenty close enough Going to start with '59 and work backwards:

At first I wasn't much of a fan of the lowercase writing, but this set has started to grow on me a little. It's in the nicest condition of anything in the run, so they only get uglier from here

The avg grade (all raw) is almost Ex, and it's nice enough that I'm going to upgrade the few dozen commons/minors that are below mid-grade (which is not something I do too often). Even though the Mantle and especially the Bob Gibson are very solid, the strength is slightly more toward the commons.

Cause while 116 of the cards are 6s, 6.5s, or (maybe a dozen) 7s, the only name players in those grades are Drysdale and the Sparky Anderson rookie.

I'll post more pics of the other sets, but this one is packed away the deepest, so will start with just the two big cards this time:

572/572

Avg condition: 4.84

Top 10 cards w/ grade:

10 Mickey Mantle: 4.5
514 Bob Gibson (R) : 5.5
564 Mickey Mantle All Star : 5
478 Roberto Clemente : 4
50 Willie Mays : 5
380 Hank Aaron : 5
163 Sandy Koufax : 4
150 Stan Musial : 3
461 Mantle hits 42nd Homer : 5