Thread: Estate Sale
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 10:34 AM

I live on Long Island and am an estate sale junkie. I go every week and have found some incredible stuff -- including sports items I just auctioned through Heritage a few months back and did really well with. Below is a link to the estate sale site I use. Be prepared for a lot of competition. And if you want to be in the house first to get the good stuff, you'll have to get there crazy early (depending on how good the house looks in the photos they post; professional tag sale services handle most of the quality sales). There's a number system among the regular tag-salers. I've gotten to a house at 4 in the morning and ended up with a number in the 30s. It's insane. Guys pull numbers for their buddies. Often they sleep overnight. There was an incredible house in Sea Cliff a few years back that guys started sitting for three or four days ahead of time. They sat in shifts. A lot of these people do it for a living so competition is fierce. It's a lot of fun, for the most part, but that aspect takes a little of the enjoyment out of it. Even for the run-of-the-mill house, you often stand in line for a half-hour or more. But if you enjoy going to estate sales, Long Island's one of the best places for it. Lots of old houses, lots of money, lots of history, and close to NYC. Kind of the perfect storm. Amazing what people pull out of these houses. Here's the link.

http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sa.../New-York.aspx

Good luck! Don't find anything I want!

Rob