View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 09:24 AM

Default 1958 Brooks Robinson PSA Master

Hi, everyone. As promised, here is the 1958 Brooks Robinson PSA Master discussion for this week.

There are not a lot of items in the master for 1958. Technically, there are only 4 items but I included a 5th as I am working with PSA to resolve. The first three cards are from Topps. You have the alpha and numeric Baltimore Orioles Checklist. Interesting that they had two different ones for 1958. That is a discussion we could have separately. The other card is the Brooks regular Topps issue I love. This photo gets people talking with his "facial expression." I love this set and the Brooks card. It is graded pretty high (PSA 8.5). I would love a PSA 9 but the cost difference is probably $5,000 and I think folks are being speculative (last year a PSA 9 was under $3,000). The three "portraits" are from Jay Publishing dated 1958-1961, Type 1 Photos. The fielding one is in awesome condition while the other two are not where I would like them. They for whatever reason do not grade well. The Portrait with Brooks in the middle without a glove or bat is a separate authorization in the Master while the pose at chest level and the pose with the bat at chest level are considered interchangeable. I do not understand this and asked PSA to clarify or add a new authorization with the bat portrait. If you notice, both the middle Jay Pub and right Jay Pub say Portrait/Chest. I hope to resolve this soon. I will later show some 1962-1965 Jay Pub photos but is anyone aware of any other Jay Pubs between 1958-1962 I am not showing here. Similarly, is anyone tracking a Brooks item you think PSA would grade or not grade that fits nicely in 1958?

Hope you enjoyed this update. I will post a 1959 discussion next Sunday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1958 PSA Master.jpg (78.0 KB, 216 views)