View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 01:07 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Agree it’s very rare that I see the younger generation set building say a guy who is in mid 30’s Wall Street manager makes 500k plus a year. He says he wants a 52 Mantle Jackie and Mays in PSA 7’s I ask him what about the rest of the set how are you doing on it. He says I don’t care for them I just want the Stars. High end common set building I think is a thing of the past.
You might be right about the "High end" common set building. However, I don't think vintage set building will die overall.

As a collector of baseball cards (not an investor), building sets is how I stretch my card budget. I can only afford so many BIG cards each year (for me, a BIG card is $100+). So I pick sets that have a few BIG cards in them and then build around them. That gives me a reason to search for and acquire cards on a regular basis that won't break the bank. Then a few times a year I treat myself to a BIG card. It's a fun way to collect on a budget.

I feel like there are enough guys like me (and most vintage sets are rare enough) that there will ALWAYS be a market for commons. You may not profit very much from buying mid-grade commons, but I think they'll hold their value in the decades to come.

The problem I'm having (and is the subject of this thread) is that many of those BIG cards are getting out of my price range...so I'm having to get creative with the sets I'm chasing.