View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 11:08 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Snipe bids can serve a good purpose (not allowing for shill bidding), but there is no difference to putting in a bid with five seconds to go at your maximum compared to setting a snipe. The main problem, IMO, is expecting a free third-party site to be 100% reliable when working with a huge engine like eBay.

I don't have a problem being outbid by a snipe bid, because it just means that someone else was willing to pay more than I was. If there's an auction I care about, I'm there when it ends (especially now that I have a smartphone with the eBay app).
I guess a lot of us can't remember what it was like before sniping services. Before sniping, I would have evenings where my internet would slow down to a crawl, or go down completely. I still have those issues at times - I'm currently at a coffee shop because there is something wrong with my connection at home. With snipes, I am much more confident that my bid will occur. Sellers should like that.

I can remember ten years ago, having ebay members contact me the day after an auction and tell me that their computer crashed and they were unable to bid on my items. I'm sure I left a lot of money on the table because of things like that. Let my customers snipe away.