View Single Post
Old 09-14-2022, 02:40 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
While most of the differences are color, tint and cropping differences, for some reason the 2nd printing also used different portraits/poses for some players as can be seen in the scans Greg provided....Walls, Hoeft, Kunkle, Wiley, Yost and Moon. And Reniff got messed up in more ways than one
I think I spent more time figuring out how many 139/159 cards there were with Reniff than I did actually shopping for them . No clue why Topps would go to the effort of redesigning several of the cards to use completely different pictures when they switched printers. Seems like they just had a lot of unrelated problems intersecting in one series.

I’ve noticed the green tints are also often found with red streaks on them that I think I remember a previous discussion (I don’t know if it was on Net54 or a private group or something) concluding are remnants from how the presses were cleaned. Certain cards like Jim Brewer crop up with these streak marks more than others, though the exact pattern of the red marks varies.

I like them as a fun subset. I just need one of the Ruth cards, 138, to finish.

Topps had a similar problem with their football series the next year, with red ink over the backgrounds of many card images giving them a purple tint version, that had to be corrected in the print run. Many of the 1962 football cards have a similar look to these problems, but were never altered or fixed.