Thread: Fixing corners
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I've never seen anything unethical about "flipping down" a dinged corner on a lower grade (and sometimes higher) card that is either raw or was slabbed "as-is". This is frustrating to me. I had a '48 Leaf Ted Williams that was a PSA 2.5, slabbed with a smashed lower left corner. I popped it, and "fixed" the corner by flipping it down. Submitted raw to SGC, where it remained a 2.5, with a much better looking corner. (The corner was not the problem leading to the grade.)

Somebody somewhere I'm sure would call this fraudulent, and label me a card doctor for such an action. If so, so be it. This specific example involves a PC card that is not going anywhere in any case. PSA thought it was a 2.5 even with a busted corner, SGC apparently could not tell that anything had been done to the corner and also thought it was a 2.5. I don't know how prevalent something like this is with lower grade cards on the whole, but figuring I'm not the first person to have ever flipped a corner down.

If with other means of "fixing" a corner you add color or paper stock, that's generally going to be looked upon as taboo by any grader worth their fees.
Thanks for the response. I don't see anything wrong with flattening a corner either. I've done it myself (without much success) but I never submit cards for grading. I was asking for a friend who thinks his Gretzky rookie would be a 7 or 8 if not for one corner.