View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 12:30 PM

Default Walden's monthly 1894/ info?

I recently acquired the first 4 issues (only ones?) of Walden's monthly from 1894. I was attracted to them by the fact it was written and edited by Henry Chadwick, and the baseball articles are primarily about very early baseball, i.e. 1850's and the 1869-70 red stockings. It covers all sports with some very nice early football and reference to early basketball among others, but most of the coverage is baseball. The illustration I have attached below I do not remember seeing before, and it notes it is based upon a 1858 photo, which I also had not seen before that I can recall.
My question is does anyone have any information on this publication? The only references I could find are contemporary notices of publication and an intriguing reference to it in a letter from Chadwick to Doc Adams sending him the 1894 issues. (August 16, 1898).
If anyone knows anything about Walden's, or has other issues I would love to hear about it. It was not mentioned in the modern histories I have, although the Adams letter is referenced frequently.
I am also researching other areas of this and am still reading the articles, so may add to this from time to time.
Thank you.
Sorry photo did not attach, I will try to add it later.