Thread: Don Sutton
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 09:45 AM

At 13, as an aspiring pitcher, I was thrilled when Don Sutton was traded to the Brewers for the pennant run in September '82. A few weeks later, a friend told me that Don had an autograph signing early one Saturday morning at an under-advertised opening of a local bank branch. When I got there, Don was standing(not sitting) next to a big table wearing a suit. Amazingly, me and my mom were the only ones there. While chatting with us, Mr. Sutton signed ALL of my cards(a dozen or so), a team placard sign, and a ball. I asked him about his curveball, and he took the ball he had signed, laid his fingers on the laces just so and said he "cheated his fingers on the ball a bit because he had smaller hands" and did a little motion pitch to show me. I was awed. That ball was on my dresser for decades. People started filing in and my time was up. He thanked us for stopping in with a big smile. One of the nicest guys I've ever encountered in baseball.

Thinking back now, he did inspire me to become a better pitcher, but I never could get that curve down. Thanks Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 045.jpg (41.6 KB, 237 views)