View Single Post
Old 11-09-2022, 10:40 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1216 View Post
Who knows? Why would anyone create a fake/reprint of a $5 card using a non-scanned image with better fonts, images and clarity on the back?

A simple fake would be a scanned, low grade image. The work put in to these is crazy. Not your run-of-the-mill fake.
I doubt we will ever know for sure. Is fun to speculate. People fake $1 autographs and many of other items worth less than $5 every day. In the last 20 years if you could get a F Face card for under $10 you got a deal. So why would a antique shop have them to begin with and why wouldn't they have sold them in any of the several times they have sold in the $20 each range?

I agree that they are not your regular cheap counterfeits. These IMO had to be made by someone in a real print shop. So to them this work was really nothing hard or special.

I owned several(around 15 total) back when these were rare. I had one with different card stock, one clearly hand cut, and noticed at least 2 different versions. It would have been cool to be able to check out the big find in person. Maybe with the cards in hand a lot more could be figured out about how they got printed.