Thread: Maddux retires
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Default Maddux retires

Posted By: Rhys

I would argue that had Maddux pitched 100 years ago, he would have won 500 games or more. He is very durable and his numbers statistically (I mean with standard deviations and stuff) would have made him a 500 game winner over a similar length career had he pitched in the days of a 3 man rotation like the deadball guys.

Often times we talk about guys in the 19th century like Bill Dahlen for example who were Hall of Famers but the numbers are not there due to shorter seasons. Maddux is hurt by the era he played in. In my opinion, he is the second or third best pitcher who ever lived, way better than Mathewson and others similar to him. Probably the only two I can think of I would rank ahead of him all time keeping with the perspective I mentioned earlier, are Walter Johnson and Lefty Grove (who was hurt by years and years in the minors where he averaged about 30 wins a year because his club would not release him).

To even argue whether he is a first ballot Hall of Famer is silly, players like him are the reason the Hall of Fame was built!

Rhys