View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Le.if Eld.evik

"That is not necessarily so.
Based on a detailed e mail from Jimmy Spence (when at PSA) to me, Steve Rocchi made a deal with a B&J and PSA certed Joe DiMaggio autographs as being in person witnessed. They were not in person witnessed. They were also bogus."

That is ridiculous, and disappointing. I am very paranoid. Even the item I have with "witnessed" certificates, I have done additional research. As an example, I purchased Bo Jackson autographed bat which came up for a good price. I traced the witnessed COA (and the date on the registry) to a public signing he did in the City of Industry (Frank and Sons) on that date. Which I keep as provenance (because I am concerned that one day people may have zero faith in any of these companies). Combined with a good examination of the autograph, I am very confident it's the real deal.

The primary reason I don't like any of the third party authentication companies is how they have cozy relationships with certain dealers/companies; like your example.

At the end of last year I wanted to buy a Matt Smith (Dr. Who) autograph for my daughter. I ran into this abysmal piece of crap (see attached). The autograph is on a dark area (hard to really look at) and it's a freaking scribble. I could forge that signature with my feet. Yet, PSA slapped a sticker on it. Very high volume seller. If I sent that in, I would guarantee it would be rejected. This is why I won't put much faith in their certs. They are reasonably respected now, but who knows if they will be 10 years from now?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (73.3 KB, 189 views)