View Single Post
Old 04-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Shawn England

Default Roy R Ray Director of Law at SMU

Wow Leon! What a great thing you are doing for your daughter... Great School as well! I am biased though...

My Great Grand Father is Roy R Ray who was Director of the Academy of American Law program...

I did get to meet him several times but he was up there in age. I helped my grandmother clean out his house and I remember all these law books etc... I had asked my grandmother (I was a kid) if I could have a giant map that was on the wall (it actually looked as if it was built into the wall) and she said "if you can get it down you can have it". Its now over my fireplace... I also drove his 1971 Grand Mercury Marquis to school, my first car "The Tank"...

Anyway, probably more than you wanted to know...

Here is a little Bio:

Roy R. Ray Lecture Series
Established 1970

History

The Roy R. Ray Lecture Series was established through an endowment funded by the late Professor Roy Robert Ray. Previous lectures have included: Linda Greenhouse, Pulitzer Prize winning journalist and U.S. Supreme Court correspondent for the New York Times; Lawrence Lokken, Hugh Culverhouse Eminent Scholar in Taxation and Professor Emeritus at the University of Florida Levin College of Law; Helen M. Hubbard, former Tax Legislative Counsel for the Office of Tax Policy at the U.S. Department of Treasury.

Roy Ray received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Centre College and his law degree with distinction from the University of Kentucky. He was appointed Research Fellow at the University of Michigan and received the degree of Doctor of Judicial Science.

Professor Ray joined the SMU law faculty in 1929; four years after the law school opened its doors. While at SMU, he established and served as the Director of the Academy of American Law program in the law school from 1955 to 1959. During the spring of 1966, Professor Ray was a Fulbright Exchange Professor at the Graduate School of Law at Seoul National University in Korea. Following his retirement in 1967, he continued to teach full time as professor emeritus for three more years. In total, and except for temporary visits and leave during the war, Professor Ray served the law school and university for 41 years.

Professor Ray is well-known for his significant contribution to the literature in torts and evidence. However, perhaps his most enduring legacy is the treatise on the Texas Law of Evidence, first co-authored with Dean Charles T. McCormick of the University of Texas at Austin, and a second edition with Professor William F. Young of the University of Texas at Austin.