View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 01:39 PM
Avery Singh II

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLeaguer View Post

I bought a Nolan Ryan RC not too long ago off of comc. It passes all the authenticator tests in my view. My only issue is that the card seems to be in between 1/16-1/8" long.

Have any of you heard of something like this for 1968 Topps?
Not that egregious however i can make out elevation changes at the corner spots on your card that indicate pancaking which could be do to pressing or long term screwdown although in my experience pressing is the culprit for a card like this that looks like it is ABSOLUTELY the wrong shape period.

If you trace the edges with your eyes you will be able to see that fattest portion at the middle edge and it should go super thin at the corners to the point it may or may not measure .001-.004 mm with machined caliper if measured ( I do not recommend this!!!!!) you could damage your card as paper and sharp calipers are not a happy marriage! it could not even register if a corner is significantly frayed under scope as the fiber weave of the stock is no longer as dense as original by a large margin and pressing or the screwdown situations will make a paper thin corner as a result!

Atypical card thickness for same same only different brands and sports through the years from 60s on on paper issues has been between .016-.019 inches and this applies to topps fleer and donruss and upper deck etc. there are always a few anomalies in my documentation but they are quirky designs to begin with or chrome cards, uv coated, etc. or anything other than the run of the mill cheap glossed layered paper productions that have anchored the card collecting community!

If you do happen to do as instructed and trace the edges with your eyes and see that it thins out at the corner you should have no problem refunding that as i am sure they did not advertise it as altered stock which is what it will get. If it is just a minor change its not a killer completely but again depends on what you paid and its true provenance as if that crease which appears to be pressed down through the middle really is you have no recourse other than the hail mary BVG but things have tightened up across the landscape with these companies due to their internal QC issues!