View Single Post
Old 01-05-2021, 02:54 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Even the many mysteries surrounding them was intriguing--I love to tell the story of my several stages of knowledge of the best way to get the older, softer, pennants into a plexi holder--perhaps I'll make a post on that subject and see how those on this forum do it!

So, getting back to the pennant in question, where are we? Does the stiffer material strongly suggest a later date, as in 1960s, or were pennants being made of that stiffer, thinner, stuff in the 1940s and 50s, also? The later Ad Flag pennants had thinner paint, it is said, but the paint on this one seems quite substantial, does that tell us anything? It's clear that the graphics don't help, but I would like to know if this is a repro of an earlier version made with a different, more substantial material, or just the preference of an Ad Flag artist for creating an antique scene for a then-modern pennant c. 1960 or so.
To you first point, Hank, I "bulge" the holder as much as possible and push a dowel toward the tip and try to pull it in rather than push it in. My moth eaten Cinderella Boys was quite the challenge. I generally prefer the soft sleeves, but that's just me.

To your second point, it is my opinion that stiffer, synthetic "felt" always points to mid to late 60's and later. That said, I have know idea if your Packers pennant is a repro or just something Ad Flag decided to make at the time. To muddy the waters even further, I'm not sure I have any (Giants) Ad Flags that are not soft felt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2826.jpg (76.6 KB, 144 views)