View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 04:18 AM
Administrator

Default OT Casey Stengel's final game? (Call this "Casey's Last Stand")

Posted By: T E

Great stuff. I have to check the Creamer book on the Old Timer's Game. If Creamer says the Old Timer's Game fell on the Sunday, he is wrong. Not the first time someone has made a mistake in print! (See Judith Miller-of course, her errors were of the intentional sort)

I hate to admit this, but I had two of these ticket stubs, and I sold one for a few bucks, not knowing the significance. Oops!

My dad took me into the Mets dugout in 1964. He was a newspaper guy. Casey was Casey. He loved playing the role with kids.

Next time I met him was, as I said, at the Hall of Fame. My dad and mom were there for the ceremonies. Dad was producing the first series of films for the HOF. I came upon Casey at the party at the hotel the night before. He was seated against a wall, surrounded by several gents, all, of course, drinking. I had this notebook with his baseball card in it and the above baseball. For some reason, I wanted him to sign the notebook twice, on the card and again below it.

One of his buddies said,"Casey, the kid wants ya to-"

Casey interrupted him. "I know what the kid wants! Come here, kid." And he signed everything the way I wanted.
-Tom